Title: Development Officer
Supervisor: Director of Philanthropic Services
Status: Full-time, Hybrid (On-site and remote)
North Florida Land Trust
North Florida Land Trust is a 501(c)3 accredited land trust founded in 1999 with a mission to preserve and enhance our quality of life by protecting North Florida’s irreplaceable natural environment. With headquarters in Jacksonville, NFLT operates primarily in seven counties in Northeast Florida and has protected over 27,000 acres of land throughout the region. NFLT works with public agencies at all levels of government, not-for-profit partners, private landowners, and foundations.
The Development Officer works closely with the Director of Philanthropic Services to conduct fundraising and relationship-building activities that support ongoing operations and growth by the goals determined by the President and Board of Directors through the Development Committee.
- Develop a deep understanding of the North Florida Land Trust’s mission, values, and often complex campaigns locally and nationally.
- Assist the Director of Philanthropic Services in developing and maintaining a development program plan, complete with metrics, to benchmark progress throughout the year.
- Manage a portfolio of 70-90 prospective and current donors.
- Maintain a computerized donor management system, Raiser’s Edge.
- Ensure appropriate donor recognition, including acknowledgments for cash and in-kind contributions.
- Maintain a working knowledge of deferred and planned giving vehicles, opportunities, and best practices.
- Assist the Director of Philanthropic Services in the planning, management, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors and prospects, prioritizing donors with a capacity of $25,000 or more.
- Act decisively upon identified leads with qualifying calls and visits. Ensure that donor records are up-to-date and track moves in the relational database, Raiser’s Edge.
- Assist the Director of Philanthropic Services in soliciting contributions from corporations, foundations, and board members. Implement annual fund-raising activities.
- Work with the Director of Philanthropic Services to coordinate all sponsored special events and donor engagement opportunities.
- Develop sustainable donor-giving programs and a plan for execution
- In consultation with the Director of Philanthropic Services, represent the North Florida Land Trust at community functions as necessary to increase our presence in the community.
- Maintain an excellent public relations status with the community and staff.
- Assist the Director of Philanthropic Services and staff on content development for marketing communications and media, including but not limited to newsletters, brochures, swag, email communications, video production, photography, stewardship and solicitation mailers, and website updates.
- Present to community groups (i.e., Rotary groups and garden clubs) as requested to inform about NFLT programs and gain new donors.
- Other duties assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and at least three years of experience in fund development is required.
- Knowledge of significant citizens, organizations, and companies within the North Florida Land Trust service area and its funding opportunities is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to work independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Ability to grasp and articulate multi-layered programs and campaigns in a way that meets the interests and passions of donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, team-building skills, and familiarity with relational databases are required.
- Must be creative, flexible, responsible, well-organized, and able to balance various activities.
- The ability to manage systems, set priorities, and work within deadlines is essential.
- Demonstrated empathy and ability to listen to build strong relationships with colleagues and donors actively.
Please send your resume and references to Lee Anderson Louy at email@example.com.